Civil unrest occurs when people hold protests and act out violently, requiring public safety officials to get involved. Most demonstrations are peaceful; however, some may become violent. Knowing what to do can help protect you from experiencing harm during any periods of unrest.
How to prepare before it happens
- Stay informed.
- Pay attention to Everbridge emergency notifications sent out by WUPD or Protective Services.
What to do when it happens
- Call WUPD (Danforth, West and North campuses) at 314-935-5555 or Protective Services (Medical School) at 314-362-4357 if you witness any violent activities occurring on or near campus.
- Do not obstruct or aggravate the protestors.
- Alert others in your area of the situation.
- If deemed necessary, lock doors and windows. Close blinds to prevent flying glass.
- If necessary and safe to do so, evacuate the area.
What to do right after it happens
- Report any damage to WUPD or Protective Services.
- Provide law enforcement officials with any requested information regarding the violent activities that occurred.