Our personal, recreational and work lives have become increasingly dependent on utilities. Utility failure can include the loss of electricity, water, gas or a combination of these services. Our dependence on these resources becomes a harsh reality when they are no longer available. Sudden failures of these resources can be independent incidents or caused by another hazard.
How to prepare before it happens
- Keep flashlights and batteries in key locations throughout your work areas.
What to do when it happens
- Call WUPD (Danforth, West and North campuses) at 314-935-5555 or Protective Services (Medical School) at 314-362-4357 to report an outage of any kind.
- Do not light candles or anything with an active flame.
- Turn off or disconnect equipment that may be impacted by a sudden surge when the electricity is restored.
What to do right after it happens
- Throw away any food that has been exposed to temperatures greater than 40 degrees for two hours or more, or that has an unusual color, odor or texture.