Fire extinguishers are located in public spaces within all Washington University buildings. All public area fire extinguishers are checked monthly and serviced annually. Individual departments are responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of any fire extinguisher located inside their departmental space.
Using a fire extinguisher
If you encounter a small fire that has just started, you may attempt to put it out with a fire extinguisher by following the steps below. However, if you have ANY doubt about your ability to fight the fire, evacuate immediately.
- Sound the nearest fire alarm and call the appropriate emergency contact number:
- Danforth Campus: 314-935-5555
- School of Medicine: 314-362-4357
- North/West/South Campus & Tyson Research: 911 then 314-935-5555
- Identify a safe evacuation route before approaching the fire. The fire should not be between you and the evacuation route.
- Use the P.A.S.S. technique:
- P…pull the pin. This will break the tamper seal.
- A…aim low, pointing the extinguisher nozzle at the base of the fire.
- S…squeeze the handle to release the extinguisher agent.
- S…sweep from side to side at the base of the fire until it appears to be out.
Use the P.A.S.S. technique